The Polyphenol Rescue Party is a natural energy boosting drink.
I recently created this smoothie to give myself a boost of natural energy after a three month long trip that took me across Maine, Hawaii, Guam, Alaska, back to Guam, back to Hawaii, back to Maine, and then to Seattle, Boise, back to Seattle, and then finally home to Maine.
Needless to say – I was completely shot. Not only was I depleted of energy from enjoying various activities and work, my body was so confused about what time zone I was in. My sleep schedule was a trainwreck.
The last time I had to recover from a trip like this it took about two weeks. This time I was able to readjust to my regular schedule and energy levels within two days.
Why the Polyphenol Rescue Party works.
The main obstacle for recovery is a lack of energy. I found that eating a high number of polyphenol rich foods made a large difference in the speed of my recovery.
You can read a thorough post about polyphenols by clicking here. But the gist is that polyphenols are antioxidants that improve the function of your mitochondria – the little batteries in your cells.
An increasing number of studies show that polyphenols have multiple positive effects on your mitochondria and overall health, including anti-aging effects, higher energy levels, and removal of toxins and free radicals.
This recipe is entirely focused on using polyphenols to increase the energy output of your mitochondria. Because its purpose is more tactical than flavorful, it probably won’t become your go-to drink to serve at parties.
I happen to like it. It’s subtle, mild, earthy, thick, and satiating. But then again, I’m the guy who eats plain avocado out of the skin with a spoon.
Even so, if you’re sick of being chronically tired, are trying to recover from an unusual event that depleted your energy, or are expecting to be energy depleted in the near future, you may want to try the Polyphenol Rescue Party and give your body the nutrients it needs to maximize energy output.
As a quick side note, this recipe can be made without the whey protein or the Brain Octane Oil.
The vanilla whey is only there for some added flavor. For those who follow the ketogenic diet, the Brain Octane Oil is an external source of ketones that will jumpstart your liver’s production of natural ketones, giving you even more energy throughout the day.
You can also change the consistency of this drink by adding more or less water.
- ½ avocado (114mg polyphenols)
- 1 cup spinach (105mg polyphenols)
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs (310mg polyphenols)
- 1 ½ tbsp flax seeds (214mg polyphenols)
- 1 cup filtered coffee (492mg polyphenols
- ½ scoop vanilla whey protein
- 2 tbsp half and half
- 1 tbsp Brain Octane Oil
- 1 cup of water
- Make a single cup of your favorite coffee and set it aside so it can cool to room temperature. I like to use a single serve french press and original Bulletproof Coffee.
- Combine flax seeds and cacao nibs into a small blender, like a Magic Bullet or Ninja. Turn on until the seeds and nibs become granular.
- Add avocado, spinach, whey protein, half and half, water, and Brain Octane Oil to the blender.
- Add the room temperature coffee to the blender and turn on until the mix is completed blended and smooth.
- Pour into your favorite cup or mug and enjoy increased energy for the entire day.
- Serves 1
- Polyphenols: 1.2g
- Calories: 500
- Carbohydrates: 8.5g
- Protein: 16.5g
- Fat: 23.5g
Become A Recipe Subscriber
Be the first to hear about simple, exciting recipes for sustained health.
- Have each new recipe sent directly to your email inbox.
- Improve the quality of your life by enjoying easy, delicious meals for long-term vitality and health.
- Boost your energy levels with polyphenols – the batteries that run your body on a cellular level.
- Lose fat and with tasty, satiating meals – no more restriction, hunger, or “dieting.”
- Proper foods for maximum muscle size and increased strength.
- Eat into the physique you always wanted.